Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Lancome Spring 2014 French Ballerine: Blush Highlighter in Rose Ballerine Review, Swatches and Photos

A few weeks ago to celebrate Chinese New Year Lancome had a 15% off code for their online store. Wanting to take advantage of the discount I went online and discovered their new "French Ballerine" inspired spring collection. Naturally I was drawn to their LE Blush Highlighter Rose Ballerine...except when I tried to order it (numerous times) the website either wouldn't let me place it in my basket or when I did mange to get it in my basket it would tell me it was "no longer available".

So I just gave up. I'm tired of online retailers not programming or maintaining their websites correctly (I'm looking at you The Bay online.)

Luckily, I got a second shot at this product at a local Shopper's Drug Mart. Rose Ballerine is a LE Blush Highlighter that is a "universal shade of subtle, soft pink [that] perfectly refreshes and illuminates every complexion." It retails for $52.00 CA, all photos taken in natural light, swatch on NC 35 skin.





The compact is lightweight plastic and has a mirrored top adorned with the brand name and a fuchsia bow. Although I think the compact is reasonably cute and theme appropriate, I wish the compact itself was more streamlined and less bulky. Inside the compact is a pale, yellow-toned warm pink powder deeply embossed with the signature Lancome rose. The powder has no over spray and has a subtle satin sheen.



Lancome Blush Highlighter in Rose Ballerine

The consistency of the powder is fairly firm in the compact, but once the top layer is buffed away, the beautiful, finely milled texture of the powder is revealed. Rose Ballerine is a product similar to MAC's Pearlmatte Face Powders albeit it much more refined, silky and less frosty. Somewhere in between a blush, highlighter and a face powder, Rose Ballerine will function as a subtle blush for pale skins and a brightening powder for medium and dark skin tones. The finely milled powder applies sheer on the skin with a subtle but natural sheen. Medium and dark skin tones can build and layer the product for a light pink wash, but ultimately this is a whisper light product that gives a fresh glow and not a serious flush.

This product is exceptionally pretty layered over other blushes to give the cheekbones greater dimension. As an all over wash for the face it brightens yellow toned skins beautifully. Pale skinned beauties who find it difficult to wear blush will like this one too because of the soft, sheer buildable colour.

Overall this is a nice product, though if you are looking for a straight up blush or highlighter you may want to look elsewhere. I have a few powders similar to this (Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Mood Light and Shu Uemura Luring Face Powder in Rose) and I'm always surprised how much more radiant my skin looks with a pink toned powder!

Grade: B+


No comments:

Post a Comment