Saturday, December 14, 2013

Dior Golden Snow 5 Couleurs Eye Shadow Palette

Dior released two LE eye shadow palettes for the holidays, the warm, brown based Golden Flower, and the cooler toned Golden Snow. I recently picked up Golden Snow from the lovely Camille at the Dior counter at the Bay City Centre. All photos taken with flash on NC 35/40 skin ($61.00 CA).





 Dior Golden Snow 1-5: clockwise from upper left (1), ending with center shade (5)

Golden Snow 1 (upper left) - a satiny white frost with a pink undertone. Excellent pigmentation and texture. Cool in tone but not too stark.

Golden Snow 2 (upper right) - a warm, yellow toned medium gold glitter which is similar in texture and finish to Bobbi Brown's Sparkle Eye Shadows. It feels creamy and powdery simultaneously. I did have a little fall out with this shadow, but it wasn't a major problem. You will want to use this over an eye shadow primer or base and pack it on with a stiff flat damp brush or your fingers.

Golden Snow 3 (bottom right) - a semi sheer charcoal satin which leans slightly blue. This shadow was semi sheer, which means you would have to pack on 2-3 layers to get it to be really dark and opaque. If you are looking for a soft charcoal/graphite type shade to wear in your creases this would be a good one as it goes on very soft.

Golden Snow 4 (bottom left) - a beautiful creamy and opaque taupey mauve shimmer. On my skin it pulled more mauve, but it does have a hint of grey in it that keeps it from looking overtly purple. Such a pretty and soft colour! Definitely my favorite in the palette.

Golden Snow 5 (center) - a white semi sheer glitter which is powdery texture wise. The glitter is finer than in shade 2, but the texture is quite a bit more powdery. Again, a sticky eye shadow or primer and a stiff and damp brush or fingertip will work best for this shadow.

Initially when I swatched this palette I was a bit disappointed because the colours didn't seem that unique and the textures were a bit too powdery for my liking. After I created this quick look my opinion of this palette improved quite a bit. The mix of warm and cool tones works quite well and the taupey mauve shade (#4) is so pretty and versatile - I can see it working with greys and browns.

Grade: B+

Overall I think this is a good palette - it doesn't blow me out of the water, but I think that the quality and shade range is good enough that you can get numerous pretty evening looks out of it. Here is an EOTD I did with the palette - full tutorial to follow!






J
.

No comments:

Post a Comment