Tuesday, October 27, 2009

FOTD: Gunmetal and roses



Shimmery grey eyes and rosy lips: a simple look with a lot of impact. It can be done with a little oomph or a lot and it's a flattering look and colour combination for everyone.

This FOTD has just a little oomph to it. For more oomph I simply add more to the lips and more to the eyes.


Basically, I layered four silvery-greys (mostly loose Bare Escentuals eyeshadows) to get this effect. This wasn't an easy task as working with loose shadows is challenging. I have also done this look using my JoeFresh eyeshadow in Midnight with Bare Escentuals in 1980s on top.



I lined my waterline (inside of my eyes) with Bloom eyeliner in black and smudged it out for a smoky effect. I also used MAC liner in Black as it's much softer than most eyeliner pencils to darken the outer eye line. I layered the darker of the shadows (BE Rockstar) on top and smudged it up onto my lid to the crease. Here's where you can intensify the look if you wish to, by darkening the base colour it'll deepen the effect, no matter what shade you put on top.

I used a combination of the silver-grey shadows on top of this, brushing it up past my crease and layering them to get the effect I wanted. Underneath my eyes I also smudged out the liner and then swept a combination of each colour over top (darker as I moved away from my nose).

Smoky eyes, no matter what colour - black, brown, grey, green, purple, etc - you use, the key is to blend dark into light. The colour at the waterline should be darkest and the colour near (or on) your brow bone should be lightest.

If you prefer, you can tone down this look by not lining your waterline, and using the shadows on your eyelid only (not below the eye). You can also opt to use less shimmery shadows (though you should use some shimmer).



My base is Bare Escentuals in Light and Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil. Also not pictured below is MAC Strada blush which I am wearing on my cheeks and on top of which I applied Benefit Dandelion powder (pictured).

My lips are a combination of MAC See Thru Lip Colour in Secret Crush and one of favourite lipglosses MAC Plushglass in Full For You. My mascara, also a favourite, is Bare Escentuals Buxom in Black.



Apologies for the text in the above photo. I am using a free MAC image editing software and it's giving me trouble so I cannot edit the errors I made above. Please note that the product labelled MAC Lipstain is actually called MAC See Thru Lip Colour in Secret Crush and the lipgloss is called Full For You, not Full of You. 

And there you have it, my gunmetal and rose look. Fairly simple, a little (or a lot) dramatic and it looks good on everyone. Try it!



C.

No comments:

Post a Comment