Thursday, September 24, 2009

JoeFresh Beauty Reviewed Part Two





Welcome to Part Two of my JoeFresh Beauty review. In this post I will review a JoeFresh Beauty Lip Stain, Lipgloss and Matte Lipstick. (Part One in which I reviewed a JoeFresh Beauty Cheek Tint and two eyeshadows can be found here.) All swatches done on NW20 skin tone.

First up is the Lip Stain. I bought it in Candy, which is also the name of the JoeFresh Lipgloss I happened to pick up on a separate shopping trip but as you'll see they're not really the same colour at all. OK, so lack of inspiration on JoeFresh's creative department on selecting unique names. With that being said, I do think the name Candy fits both products!

I quite like the packaging of the Lip Stains. They're chubby little felt-tip pens that feel solid in your hand. The felt tip distributes the stain well, although I do have issues with how the product flows.
Lip Stain in Candy (overcast day natural light)
Swatch (overcast day natural light)
Swatch (unnatural light with flash)

The downside to the Lip Stains is the application process. I have not run out of mine yet, but it does take some time for the product to seep out of the felt tip almost as if you're at the end of the tube. It's good that it doesn't pour out because that would be a MESS but they could certainly find a happy medium between the two extremes. I find I really have to press and massage the felt tip in order to get a good amount of product on my lips.

That being said, I quite like the colour of Candy. It's a bright pinky-purple that enhances the natural shade of my lips. I like to wear it topped with lip balm or under a lip gloss.

*I did the lip stain swatch, then rubbed off as much as I could before swatching the lipstick and the gloss. Look for the lip stain swatch next to the lipstick and gloss swatches in the below photos - this stuff STAYS on!

And here's the Lip Gloss called Candy. See, they're quite different shades! Candy lipgloss is an opaque, very shiny bright pink gloss. Despite the intensity of the shade and how opaque it is, it goes on quite sheer if you want it to.

Lipgloss in Candy (overcast day natural light)

Swatch (overcast day natural light)
*note the lip stain swatch still visible after being scrubbed at with a wet wipe
Swatch (unnatural light with flash)
*note the lip stain swatch still visible after being scrubbed at with a wet wipe

Candy the lipgloss is packaged in very thick, clear plastic tube. I don't know why I like the thickness of it so much, but there's something satisfying about not worrying if it'll slip out of your hands or snapping in two. It feels like it might withstand a hurricane - that's how solid and sturdy it is. The applicator is a brush, which isn't my favourite way of applying lipgloss especially since more inexpensive brands tend to use longer bristled brushes. It's harder to get an accurate application with these brushes, especially when the gloss is opaque and needs to be applied with as much accuracy as a lipstick. Often I find that the bristles can get bent in different directions making it even more difficult to apply with accuracy.

There's a mildly sweet scent, something like cotton candy, to the gloss, nothing remarkable but not unpleasant. Texture-wise it's smooth, sticky, glossy and basically everything you want a gloss to be. I like the brightness of the colour and the shine. It lasts a good length of time on my lips, nothing overly remarkable. Overall this isn't the best gloss I've ever tried but it's not bad and certainly not bad for the price. I'm more fond of the colour than anything else about it.

And finally we come to the Matte Lipstick in Bordeaux (apropos because of the wine-aux I'm becoming lately!). Housed in a thick, white tube, this is one great-looking lipstick.

Lipstick in Bordeaux (overcast day natural light)

Swatch (overcast day natural light)
*note the lip stain swatch still visible after being scrubbed at with a wet wipe


Swatch (unnatural light with flash)
*note the lip stain swatch still visible after being scrubbed at with a wet wipe

As you can see, the lipstick swatches lighter than it looks in the tube and it's a lovely, rich deep pink - brighter than a real Bordeaux (more like a Rose) but it's definitely not misnamed either.

Since this is a matte lipstick, it starts out mildly creamy in texture and then mellows to a drier matte finish. It's great to use for a stained look - simply apply with your fingers or dab gently on moisturized lips and then blot and blot some more until you're left with a stained effect. It can be difficult to wear matte lipsticks if you're a lip goop junkie like me who can't go long without something slick coating my lips for long.

Just like with Candy the lipgloss, it's the colour over the quality that makes me like this lipstick. It's a bold, lovely shade, perfect for fall and I can't wait to wear it on Saturday to my friend's Mad Men inspired anniversary/re-wedding party! (You can see it being worn here.)

Summary: Overall I like the JoeFresh Beauty products I've tried. I'm a sucker for their clothes and while the make-up doesn't quite match up, it's certainly no slouch in the inexpensive beauty product category. Check it out at a Loblaws, JoeFresh or Canadian Superstore near you!

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment